Animal Control

Animal Control

Our Public Works staff members serve as our animal control officers and will pick up stray dogs and cats and transport them to the Animal Shelter if their owners cannot be located.

If your dog or cat wanders away, you are encouraged to notify the Police Department at 252-638-1108.

Pet Registration and Regulations

The Town of River Bend requires that all dogs and cats “kept, harbored, maintained, or cared for” in Town to be registered. You may register your pet(s) at Town Hall, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm, or you may complete and submit the pet registration form linked on this page. You must present a current rabies vaccination certificate at the time of registration. The current license fee is $10.00 per pet.

Pet owners must either keep their pets contained on their own property, or properly leashed and under the owner's control. Animal feces deposited on public or private property without the consent of the owner of the property, must be immediately removed. For our complete Animal Regulation Ordinance, please click on the link.



Mike Steffa
Public Works Technician
252-638-3870 x 207

Quick Links


Animal Regulation Ordinance

Online Pet Registration Form

Fill-In and Print Pet Registration Form

Dog Park Rules

Animal Welfare Hotline

Report Animal Cruelty

Call 1-855-290-6915

Cruelty toward animals is illegal under North Carolina law. You can report animals experiencing physical harm under the care of an individual, pet shop, kennel or animal shelter to the North Carolina Attorney General’s Animal Welfare Hotline.